Monday, September 27, 2010

I don't need some new-age, self-help mumbo jumbo





Repeat after me..."I am successful.", "I am beautiful", "Life brings me the bounties that I deserve."


What a crock of YOU KNOW WHAT.

While reading a book that I'll be reviewing over on The Review Broads this week, I got to thinking about the difference between people who WISH and DREAM about a different life and those who venture out and LIVE what they aspire to.

I USED to be one of those who believed that by picking up yet another text, revealing a NEW way to tell the universe just what I was capable of that it would all fall into place. That was UNTIL a book (or rather a series of books) set me straight.

The funny thing is that I've always done exactly what I wanted. I can easily look back at these 57 years, satisfied that I went after my dreams. Miracles are nice, but why wait when by taking action NOW, you can pretty much have whatever you want? Making a million dollars takes more than walking around with your copy of "The Secret" in hand.

    “The law of attraction says that like attracts like, and when you think and feel what you want to attract on the inside, the law will use people, circumstances and events to magnetize what you want to you, and magnetize you to it.” -   Rhonda Byrne (The Secret)

So, if at 57 years old, I want to attract some hot young stud, I don't have to lose these extra 30 lbs., get a boob job and face lift, and wear ridiculously dangerous shoes? Well, I might - but a psycho-grannie loving-geekwhocan'tgetadateat29  is NOT on my agenda. Sorry Rhonda, but I don't want to be THAT kind of a magnet.

It's only by taking action, that first step, that MOVE OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE to where you want to be, does the change BEGIN. When was the last time you heard of anyone losing 50 lbs. by chanting? If I want to lose weight, I have to diet and exercise. Why should it be ANY different with anything else in your life?

I've always wanted to travel... A LOT! This year I decided that I would travel more than I had in the past. I began travel writing and finding outlets for my articles. I knew that this would in turn allow me the credibility to approach or be approached by companies offering trips. In September I visited Las Vegas, on Tuesday I leave for Cancun followed by Chicago (with Butterball). Then I'm off to Captiva Island (November) and in December I'll be cruising the Bahamas. I was even invited to Hong Kong this year. I've had more offers and opportunities to choose from than I even thought possible. Why? Because I took action. Knowing that if I could write articles and get them placed I could give these destinations what THEY are looking for - exposure.

If those self-help, New Age books make you feel good, keep reading them. If you want to CHANGE your life...."Just Do It" - the philosopher Nike.


Are you looking for some books that are both inspiring AND practical? You'll find Live What You Love: Notes from an Unusual Life and Changing Your Course: The 5-Step Guide to Getting the Life You Want (Live What You Love) will fit the bill. without all of the double-talk.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Custom design by Revka Stearns of Berries and Cream Blog Design
© 2008 - present Champagne Living. Content May Not Be Reproduced Without Permission. | Contact Zippy | Privacy Policy |
Clicky Web Analytics

Champagne Living has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://champagneliving.net
and update your bookmarks.