Monday, November 9, 2009

How do you reach your financial goals?


I've been very lucky. I may not be the smartest or the hardest working, but I am a very creative person and I use that to my advantage. I live as if I have LOTS and LOTS of money, but I really don't. Mr. S and I actually live on a very small fixed income.

I REALLY do use the techniques that I've laid out in Champagne Living. I'll be going to New York and then on to Rhode Island this week and so far the only cost to me is the airfare and train (which I bought W-A-Y in advance at a discount and got FREE upgrades).

All of this is GREAT, but what about my goals? What about saving a little for a rainy day?

The MOST IMPORTANT technique that I use is to ASK MYSELF each time I spend money

"Will spending this help me reach my goal?"

If the answer is NO - then I don't do it, if it's YES - then I do. This trip will help me grow both blogs, and so it goes without saying that it was an important move towards my goals of being able to bring you new and exciting information, products, etc.

We may define success in varying ways. For one it may be accumulating lots of money, for me it's about experiences and relationships (not that a little money wouldn't be nice). Each of us has SOMETHING that DRIVES us. Even though I treasure experiences, I need a means to make those experiences happen.

The little things add up.

You'd be surprised how a quarter here, a dollar there add up. I still use the old technique of tossing my change in a jar. I do it every night, without fail.

Think that the change in a jar won't get you far?

It got me to St. Maartin (and St. Thomas). YUP, it got Mr. S and I a cruise. I saved those pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters until we had enough to take our last cruise. I shopped for the BEST available price, and was able to book us a cabin on our second Princess cruise to the Caribbean. It was definitely a combination of saving and creativity. By the way, if you're looking to cruise - you might want to follow @cruisesource on twitter for some GREAT deals.

Our goals may be different, but the means to get there will be similar.

Do you have a trick or technique that you use to save money? I'd LOVE to hear it. Feel free to leave a comment and I'll try to get some of them up on a post for ALL to read. In the meantime, ask yourself if you REALLY need that extra shot in your coffee or if the money could be used towards BETTER things.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Custom design by Revka Stearns of Berries and Cream Blog Design
© 2008 - present Champagne Living. Content May Not Be Reproduced Without Permission. | Contact Zippy | Privacy Policy |
Clicky Web Analytics

Champagne Living has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://champagneliving.net
and update your bookmarks.