Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Shopping at the Farmer's Market

Summertime means, ice cold watermelon, juicy peaches, massive heads of lettuce, and all sorts of fresh, healthy farm grown foods that are available. Although these wonderful fruits and veggies are available from my local grocery store, most of them are scrawny, prepackaged and not exactly what I remember from when I was a kid.

Luckily, summertime is also the season when Farmer's Markets and Green Markets open their stands to the public and sell fresh from the farm produce. I much prefer buying from my local farmer, baker, etc. as I know that I'm getting the BEST. It's a misconception that purchasing from these markets cost more than at your local grocer. I've actually found that because the middle man is cut out that I can get better quality products for MUCH less.



A day at the market not only means picking up my produce, but I'm also able to buy freshly baked breads, seafood directly from the fisherman and even wholesome biscuits for my dog.



Each Saturday I try to make a day of shopping (except for rainy days). It's my little getaway, and I love being surrounded by all of the sounds and smells. There are always wonderful food vendors and the smell wafting through the aisles is amazing.



"My" market is on the water and there is always some form of entertainment as well I just love getting some jerk chicken hot off the grill, sitting on the seawall and listening to jazz or folk music and watching the manatees play in the water below. It really is a wonderful way to spend the day.

If you're wondering where your local farmer's market is, Local Harvest has a website where you can find farmers' markets, family farms, and other sources of sustainably grown food in your area, where you can buy produce, grass-fed meats, and many other goodies.

Enjoy!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Custom design by Revka Stearns of Berries and Cream Blog Design
© 2008 - present Champagne Living. Content May Not Be Reproduced Without Permission. | Contact Zippy | Privacy Policy |
Clicky Web Analytics

Champagne Living has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://champagneliving.net
and update your bookmarks.