Friday, November 12, 2010

9 tips for getting the house Thanksgiving ready

Oh my, Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away and I'll be away for a girlfriend's getaway from the 19th - 22nd at the South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island. Leaving hubby and Clem (the mini-bull-terrier) alone for the four days before the holiday is probably a BIG MISTAKE, but it's one that I'm willing to make. That will leave me TWO DAYS to get the house ready for turkey day.

The food part is easy, with Butterball by my side, I've got dinner covered (if you haven't been keeping up with my Butterball doings, hop on over to the Butterball Blog and check out my fellow Butterball bloggers and my updates).

I'm going to need a quick, easy method to get the house ready for Thanksgiving or ANY day I'm expecting friends and family over.

Here are a few tips for making your mansion ready for your guests ~

1. Schedule your cleaning for the day before Thanksgiving (I actually prefer the evening before) so that the house STAYS CLEAN for the next day.


2. Concentrate on the rooms where guests will most likely be
  1. Entry
  2. Bathrooms
  3. Dining Room 
  4. Living or Family Room
  5. Hallways to or from these rooms


DECLUTTER - people will not notice that your floor is not polished to a high sheen, but they will notice any clutter left on tables, vanities or counters.

4. BATHROOM - this deserves a second mention. It is the ONE room (or rooms) in your home that people stay in ALONE and will notice. It's EASY to make it sparkle. Some rubbing alcohol on the mirror and faucets and it will look like you've scrubbed for days. Make sure to add extra toilet paper, fresh towels and I always light a scented candle and leave it on the vanity for the day.


5. KITCHEN - I know you'll be spending the day cooking and preparing last minute foods, but before you do...clear off the counters from any EXTRAS that you won't be needing. It will allow you more space and look cleaner. Wipe up after yourself (especially counters and stove top) and put out clean dish cloths &/or towels. The rubbing alcohol trick on the kitchen faucets and a quick scouring of the sink and you'll be all set.

6. Make sure there's a place for guests to leave their boots, coats, and handbags.

7. Make it convenient for people to put down their drinks, appetizer plates, etc. I have those little Lack tables from Ikea (under $10 each) that I keep stored until I'm having a party, so that there are extra tables available.

8. Candles and flowers make the room look and smell elegant.

9. Relax and enjoy  - your family and friends are there to enjoy your company, and I'll bet that their home is in the same condition as yours.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

To not feel the pressure and stress in making a thanksgiving-ready house, start at the places guest most likely will be.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Custom design by Revka Stearns of Berries and Cream Blog Design
© 2008 - present Champagne Living. Content May Not Be Reproduced Without Permission. | Contact Zippy | Privacy Policy |
Clicky Web Analytics

Champagne Living has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://champagneliving.net
and update your bookmarks.