Monday, October 19, 2009

I've gone Crazy for Michael Bublé

I love nothing more than to pop a CD into the player in my car and go do my errands. Quite often I drive an hour or so to get to the shopping areas that I prefer (in the Palm Beach area), so music makes the hike down I95 much quicker. I have a "usual" set that I rotate frequently, with new CDs being added here and there.

One2One Network recently sent me the new Michael Bublé CD Crazy Love. Now, I have to state a few things before I start.

1. I love Van Morrison and Bublé is covering one of my favorite songs and using it as the title of his album.....NOT A GOOD START.

2. I'm getting a little weary of all of these wedding singer style wanna-bees who think they sound like Frank (no last name needed).

3. The last CD made of this genre turned me off to this type of music SO MUCH that I dreaded opening this one.

4. I'm giving it a chance ----- WITH RESERVATIONS.

So, if I sound like I'm a bit jaded and coming at this review with a negative attitude. You're CORRECT.

As is my usual routing with a new CD, I popped it into the player in my car and listened to about 30 seconds of each song and moved on to the next. That way I get a feel for which songs are GOOD and which are filler and not worth the effort. This was once again....NOT A GOOD START.

Michael Bublé has a soulful, beautiful voice. It's got a tone to it that grabs you in the pit of your stomach. He has TALENT no doubt, but damn.....he still sounds like a WEDDING SINGER. Sorry, he's too young and too talented to be singing Cry Me a River and Stardust.

Thankfully, my routine of skimming the songs before REALLY listening turned up two songs on this CD that grabbed my attention. It's interesting because the two songs were both written by Bublé himself.

"Haven't Met you Yet" and "Hold On" are SO different than anything I've ever heard him do before. Both of these have that singer-songwriter sound (think John Mayer-like) that I really enjoy. WOW. These gems were totally HIDDEN between classics that my 82 year old dad would enjoy. Rather than his usual sound, Bublé comes across as totally vulnerable on these. Maybe it's the fact that he wrote them or perhaps its just the style of the songs, but I'm a fan (at least of these).



I found myself skipping back and forth. He actually did a nice job with Crazy Love (sorry Van) as well as Heartache Tonight and Baby you've got what it takes (with Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings).

I have a request Micheal (hey, I've listened to the CD enough times now that I feel we're friends)....PLEASE WRITE MORE SONGS and put out an album of your own stuff. There's no need to go back to the crooner/wedding singer style. REALLY.

Baby - YOU'VE got what it takes.

You can purchase Crazy Love from Michael Bublé's website or at CD retailers nationwide.

Thanks to the One2One Network for providing this CD for my review.

Album Tracklisting:
1. Cry Me A River
2. All Of Me
3. Georgia On My Mind
4. Crazy Love
5. Haven't Met You Yet
6. All I Do Is Dream Of You
7. Hold On
8. Heartache Tonight
9. You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You
10. Baby (You've Got What It Takes)
11. At This Moment
12. Stardust
13. Whatever It Takes (bonus track)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Custom design by Revka Stearns of Berries and Cream Blog Design
© 2008 - present Champagne Living. Content May Not Be Reproduced Without Permission. | Contact Zippy | Privacy Policy |
Clicky Web Analytics

Champagne Living has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://champagneliving.net
and update your bookmarks.