Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A house filled with flowers

I love my house, but I have to say that living in a gated community where the HOA takes care of the outdoor areas, lawn, gardens etc. makes it less fun to garden. That and the fact that it's been hovering around 100 degrees outside lately, makes it difficult for me to really want to get outside. I started thinking about when I lived in New England and couldn't wait for June to really dig into my flower garden. For me, part of living the good life is surrounding myself with things that make me feel good, and I miss having fresh cut flowers that I can bring in the house. I do grab some of the Magnolia's that are on the tree in the front yard to bring in, but I no longer have all of those delicate flowers that I used to grow from bulbs.

I used to love to arrange them eclectically through the house and got to thinking that for me, gardening and antiquing (or flea markets and junk shops) always went hand in hand. Here are some of the things that I used to use to keep my flowers in....

  • Old water pitchers
  • China teapots
  • cans (labels on if they're interesting)
  • Glass mason jars
  • Vegetables like pumpkins scooped out and filled with a bouquet (use floral foam)
  • Magnolias and petals can float in an old glass or crystal bowl
  • Glass tealight candleholders
  • Beakers
  • A paper bag with a jar hidden inside
  • Teacups
I think that I might go to the Farmer's Market next week and see if anyone has brought fresh cut flowers from their garden to sell, or maybe I'll start a container garden on my patio. If you have any containers that you like to keep your flowers in (besides the "usual" vase), I'd love to hear about them. Oh and if you know anything about gardening in this climate, feel free to pass along any tips! Thanks.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Custom design by Revka Stearns of Berries and Cream Blog Design
© 2008 - present Champagne Living. Content May Not Be Reproduced Without Permission. | Contact Zippy | Privacy Policy |
Clicky Web Analytics

Champagne Living has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://champagneliving.net
and update your bookmarks.